A new poll shows registered New Jersey voters heavily supporting
another term as governor for Republican Chris Christie and a U.S. Senate seat
for Democrat Cory Booker.
Booker, the mayor of Newark, leads Republican candidate Steve Lonegan 50 percent to 22 percent. Christie leads Democrat Barbara Buono 50 percent to 26 percent in a Fairleigh Dickinson University PublicMind poll released Thursday.
Buono, a state senator, and Lonegan, a former mayor of Bogota, have not locked up support within their own parties, the poll found.
Lonegan had the support of 56 percent of Republican voters, while 14 percent support Booker, 4 percent "someone else" and the rest unsure or declining to say.
Buono had the support of 47 percent of Democrats while 29 percent preferred Christie and 6 percent "someone else."
Registered Democrats outnumber Republicans by about 700,000 in New Jersey, but independent voters outnumber each party.
The special Senate election will be Oct. 16, a date Christie set by executive order following the death of longtime Sen. Frank Lautenberg in June.
Christie, along with candidates for the state Legislature and local races, will be on the Nov. 5 ballot.
In the legislative races, the poll found that 61 percent of voters said an endorsement by Christie would have no effect on their choice.
In an early test of Christie's possible entry into the 2016 presidential race, 51 percent of New Jersey Republicans said they would like to see Christie be the nominee, and 10 percent supported U.S. Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky.
Among Democrats, 53 percent backed former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, 10 percent Vice President Joe Biden, 6 percent New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and 4 percent Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren.
The poll of 700 registered voters was conducted by telephone with landline and cell phones from Aug. 21 through Tuesday, and has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.7 percentage points.
(c)2013 The Record (Hackensack, N.J.)
Visit The Record (Hackensack, N.J.) at www.NorthJersey.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
KeyWords:: BC-NEWJERSEY-CHRISTIE-BOOKER:HK BC NEWJERSEY CHRISTIE BOOKER HK
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence