A Montana teacher who raped a 14-year-old student who
later killed herself has been sentenced to just 30 days in jail, according to US
media reports Wednesday.
Stacey Dean Rambold, 54, pleaded guilty to one charge of sexual intercourse without consent, and the judge imposed the light sentence after commenting that the victim seemed "older than her chronological age" and was "as much in control of the situation" as the teacher.
The incident occurred in 2008 when the victim was 14 and the teacher was 49. The victim committed suicide some three years later as the case wound its way through the legal system.
"I think this sentence is a joke, a travesty," the victim's Auliea Hanlon, told CNN. "People will lose faith in our justice system. I have."
Most Popular Stories
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- World Tensions Don't Curb Enthusiasm for Stocks
- U.K. Economy Surpasses Pre-Crisis Peak
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks
- Visa, Amazon Results Drag Down the Street