A Montana teacher who raped a 14-year-old student who
later killed herself has been sentenced to just 30 days in jail, according to US
media reports Wednesday.
Stacey Dean Rambold, 54, pleaded guilty to one charge of sexual intercourse without consent, and the judge imposed the light sentence after commenting that the victim seemed "older than her chronological age" and was "as much in control of the situation" as the teacher.
The incident occurred in 2008 when the victim was 14 and the teacher was 49. The victim committed suicide some three years later as the case wound its way through the legal system.
"I think this sentence is a joke, a travesty," the victim's Auliea Hanlon, told CNN. "People will lose faith in our justice system. I have."
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday