A Montana teacher who raped a 14-year-old student who
later killed herself has been sentenced to just 30 days in jail, according to US
media reports Wednesday.
Stacey Dean Rambold, 54, pleaded guilty to one charge of sexual intercourse without consent, and the judge imposed the light sentence after commenting that the victim seemed "older than her chronological age" and was "as much in control of the situation" as the teacher.
The incident occurred in 2008 when the victim was 14 and the teacher was 49. The victim committed suicide some three years later as the case wound its way through the legal system.
"I think this sentence is a joke, a travesty," the victim's Auliea Hanlon, told CNN. "People will lose faith in our justice system. I have."
Most Popular Stories
- 15 Myths That Could Ruin Your Hispanic Ad Campaign
- General Motors Names Mary Barra as First Female CEO
- Cold Dis-comfort: Antarctica Set Record of -135.8
- Obama Delivers Speech at Mandela Memorial: Transcript
- Uruguay Gets Ready for Legal Marijuana
- Oldaker Takes Center Stage at Entrepreneur Awards
- Slow Week Ahead of December FOMC Meeting
- Hispanics Seek to Grow School Board Members
- Russia Says Nyet to Canada North Pole Claim
- 'Knockout Game': Myth or Menace?