A U.S. judge said the NFL and thousands of former players have reached a
settlement regarding lawsuits seeking compensation for concussions.
U.S. District Judge Anita Brody said Thursday the sides proposed a settlement in which the league and NFL Properties would pay $765 million for medical benefits and injury compensation. Brody still must approve the agreement.
More than 4,500 former players, including 10 Pro Football Hall of Fame inductees, and relatives filed suit against the NFL alleging that some health problems since their playing careers ended were related to concussions suffered in football-related activities, such as games and practices.
The funds are also to be used for medical and safety research and plaintiffs' expenses related to the lawsuits.
The NFL denies wrongdoing in the settlement offer.
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say