A Miami-area man who allegedly posted a picture of his wife's dead body on
Facebook after he killed her during an argument pleaded not guilty Thursday.
Derek Medina, 31, of South Miami appeared in Miami-Dade Circuit Court, The Miami Herald reported. He was formally charged with the second-degree murder of Jennifer Alfonso, 26, and entered a not guilty plea.
A judge set a tentative trial date in November, although proceedings are likely to be delayed. Some of Alfonso's family were in the court and left without talking to news media.
Investigators say Alfonso's 10-year-old daughter from a previous relationship was in the townhouse when her mother was killed. She was not injured.
Medina allegedly punched and kicked his wife during the fight and then shot her several times. He then put the photo on Facebook with a farewell message, investigators said.
"I'm going to prison or death sentence for killing my wife. Love you guys. Miss you guys. Take care. Facebook people you'll see me in the news," the message said.
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say