A Miami-area man who allegedly posted a picture of his wife's dead body on
Facebook after he killed her during an argument pleaded not guilty Thursday.
Derek Medina, 31, of South Miami appeared in Miami-Dade Circuit Court, The Miami Herald reported. He was formally charged with the second-degree murder of Jennifer Alfonso, 26, and entered a not guilty plea.
A judge set a tentative trial date in November, although proceedings are likely to be delayed. Some of Alfonso's family were in the court and left without talking to news media.
Investigators say Alfonso's 10-year-old daughter from a previous relationship was in the townhouse when her mother was killed. She was not injured.
Medina allegedly punched and kicked his wife during the fight and then shot her several times. He then put the photo on Facebook with a farewell message, investigators said.
"I'm going to prison or death sentence for killing my wife. Love you guys. Miss you guys. Take care. Facebook people you'll see me in the news," the message said.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- Obama Seeks to Stay Neutral in CIA-Senate Conflict
- GM Recall Poses First Major Test for New CEO