A Miami-area man who allegedly posted a picture of his wife's dead body on
Facebook after he killed her during an argument pleaded not guilty Thursday.
Derek Medina, 31, of South Miami appeared in Miami-Dade Circuit Court, The Miami Herald reported. He was formally charged with the second-degree murder of Jennifer Alfonso, 26, and entered a not guilty plea.
A judge set a tentative trial date in November, although proceedings are likely to be delayed. Some of Alfonso's family were in the court and left without talking to news media.
Investigators say Alfonso's 10-year-old daughter from a previous relationship was in the townhouse when her mother was killed. She was not injured.
Medina allegedly punched and kicked his wife during the fight and then shot her several times. He then put the photo on Facebook with a farewell message, investigators said.
"I'm going to prison or death sentence for killing my wife. Love you guys. Miss you guys. Take care. Facebook people you'll see me in the news," the message said.
Most Popular Stories
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Faith Groups Divest From Fossil Fuels
- Spiders Get Bigger, Reproduce Faster in Cities
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- Entrepreneur Contest Announced in Idaho
- Why BofA Won't Pay $17 Billion After All
- Notes From the July FOMC Meeting
- Obama Weighs Move on Legal Immigration
- Eric Holder Arrives in Ferguson