A Miami-area man who allegedly posted a picture of his wife's dead body on
Facebook after he killed her during an argument pleaded not guilty Thursday.
Derek Medina, 31, of South Miami appeared in Miami-Dade Circuit Court, The Miami Herald reported. He was formally charged with the second-degree murder of Jennifer Alfonso, 26, and entered a not guilty plea.
A judge set a tentative trial date in November, although proceedings are likely to be delayed. Some of Alfonso's family were in the court and left without talking to news media.
Investigators say Alfonso's 10-year-old daughter from a previous relationship was in the townhouse when her mother was killed. She was not injured.
Medina allegedly punched and kicked his wife during the fight and then shot her several times. He then put the photo on Facebook with a farewell message, investigators said.
"I'm going to prison or death sentence for killing my wife. Love you guys. Miss you guys. Take care. Facebook people you'll see me in the news," the message said.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- What to Expect From an Amazon Smartphone
- Auto Parts Plant Opening in Pa., Jobs on Tap
- Clinton Sought GOP Support for Health Plan
- Saucedo Mercer Running on Empty in Arizona
- Earnings Season Starts Rough for Health Insurers
- Spring Salmon Return to San Joaquin
- Asia Seeks Obama's Assurance Over Spats
- IPO Market Shows Signs of Settling Down to Earth
- National Energy Boom Blurs Political Battle Lines