The rising tensions in Syria is scaring the Israeli public, as seen at
the gas mask distribution center on Hahagana Road in Tel Aviv. People, worried
about a possible chemical attack on Israel, are complaining that there are not
enough gas mask distribution points, which is creating pressure on and long
queues at the existing points, where the waiting can take hours.
The Israel Postal Company Ltd. website for ordering gas masks crashed for an hour this morning. It said in response that it will increase the number of lines at its call center and at the distribution sites, but said that the IDF Home Front Command was responsible for giving orders to open the distribution centers.
The security cabinet met this morning to discuss the consequence of a US attack on Syria.
Hundreds of people waited for an average of two hours at the Tel Aviv gas mask distribute center. Arguments and scuffles broke out among the people in the queue outside, although most people tried to remain calm.
There is also heavy pressure at the gas mask distribution center in Haifa.
Israel Postal Company said today that three times as many people as usual were coming to the gas mask distribution centers. "It seems that the flood will only continue. Since the reports, there has been a drastic rise in calls to the telephone center and at the distribution centers," it said.
According to media reports, only 60 percent of Israelis have gas masks, and the government has not yet found a budget solution for the manufacture of gas masks for the entire population. The Knesset Committee for Home Front Preparedness will discuss the issue today.
(c)2013 the Globes (Tel Aviv, Israel)
Visit the Globes (Tel Aviv, Israel) at www.globes.co.il/serveen/globes/nodeview.asp?fid=942
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Prosecutor to Investigate Walmart Police Shooting
- GM to Announce New Jobs in Tennessee
- Emirates Hit Libyan Targets With Airstrikes
- Michael Brown Funeral: Can Americans Change the Script of Violence?
- Smith & Wesson Misses Target
- American Killed With ISIS Fighters in Syria
- Surf's Up! SoCal Prepares for Big Storm Surf
- Marco Rubio Warns Obama on Deportations
- Hamas Claims Gaza Ceasefire as Victory Over Israel
- Ford Hires 300 at Louisville Lincoln Plant