Israeli military officials Wednesday downplayed the probability of a Syrian
attack in response to potential U.S. strikes on the regime's forces.
In a briefing of the Israeli's security Cabinet, senior defense officials including Chief of General Staff Benny Gantz indicated there was a "low probability" of such retaliation, The Jerusalem Post reported.
As a precaution, the security Cabinet approved a limited call-up of reservists.
On Tuesday, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said citizens should carry on their lives as normal.
After the meeting, Netanyahu issued another statement saying the military "is ready to defend against any threat and prepared to respond severely against any attempt to harm Israeli citizens."
The volatile situation caused a rush at gas mask distribution centers. Military officials said the supply could soon be depleted.
The Israel army deployed a second Iron Dome anti-missile battery in northern Israel following reports of an expected Western attack in Syria, officials said.
The Israeli air force has also raised its Arrow 2 missile system's level of alertness, the Israeli broadcaster Arutz Sheva reported. The Arrow 2 is designed to intercept ballistic missiles.
Army spokesman Brig. Gen. Yoav Mordechai said Israel is monitoring the situation.
"As is required, the [army] is examining, following and watching the developments, hour by hour. The Home Front Command knows its job well and is prepared to give any required solution for the population," he said.
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say