The listed manufacturer and distributor of electrical products bought a 50 percent stake in satellite service provider Skyevine nearly two years ago. It aims to attract consumer and business customers who seek an alternative to third-generation (3G) wireless connectivity and asymmetric digital subscriber line services that offer fast connection over copper lines. Internet service provider iBurst will provide the internet services.
Ellies' nearest competitor for satellite broadband services is
The firm has established Ellies Connect, a shop-within-a-shop brand that will be rolled out in Builders Express and
"We saw the need for internet connectivity" was the reason Samson gave for launching the broadband services.
Ellies Connect has three different components - entertainment, hardware and connectivity - and will offer fast internet, fax-to-email, a product allowing consumers to send SMSes directly from their computer, and a voice line service, which allows users to make and receive voice calls from their computer or a dedicated voice-over-internet telephone.
The firm has structured packages for individuals and business, including hardware installation and data services.
Spiwe Chireka, the programme manager for telecoms in
Ellies has traditionally manufactured and imported electronic products related to television reception, including satellite and terrestrial aerial ranges, as well as audio, electronic and electrical products and accessories.
It has also established a division, Ellies Renewable Energy, providing energy equipment to the market. It offers infrastructural power in the area of power generation, transmission and distribution.
The company said it would offer access to digital terrestrial television provided by Platco, an
The stock gained 1 percent to close at R7.05 on the JSE.
Most Popular Stories
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise
- Shanghai Smog Forces Factory Shutdowns