One of New Mexico's most famous restaurant chains received some
national TV exposure during Sunday night's episode of the popular AMC show
The Garduno's restaurant at Winrock provided the setting for a tense confrontation among a quartet of main characters, including teacher-turned-kingpin Walter White (played by star Bryan Cranston).
The restaurant was name-checked in the scene by the waiter, who provided a dose of levity with his enthusiastic recommendation of the tableside guacamole appetizer -- an actual Garduno's menu item.
"I wish they would've had our (guacamole) cart right there, but they (the characters) didn't order it," Garduno's co-owner Tug Herig said Monday morning.
Herig -- who owns the chain with Southwest Brands partners Jim Long and Jack Harney -- said it was exciting to be part of the process and also to have the Garduno's name broadcast to a large audience.
"That was part of my negotiations," Herig said, adding that his stipulations also included the scene have no murders or drug use.
The scene was shot in April, closing the restaurant for a full day. Herig declined to say how much the production paid but said that it wasn't really about the money.
"It was more about the exposure and being part of a show that really helps put Albuquerque on the map," he said.
"Breaking Bad" is filmed and set in Albuquerque. The hit drama is now in its final season.
Southwest Brands has worked to re-establish the Garduno's brand since buying it out of bankruptcy two years ago.
(c)2013 the Albuquerque Journal (Albuquerque, N.M.)
Visit the Albuquerque Journal (Albuquerque, N.M.) at www.abqjournal.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Labor Day Travel Up, Gas Prices Down
- Bogdanovitch Delivers Laughs With 'She's Funny'
- U.K. Raises Terror Threat Level to 'Severe'
- Nintendo Launching 'Amiibo' Toy-game Franchise
- Canada, Russia Go to War (on Twitter)
- Parra Joins Exclusive Club of Hispanic CEOs
- Apple to Unveil New Items on Sept. 9
- Axxis Solutions Appoints Benites as CEO
- Obama Puts Ukraine Violence on Russia