A burst of 9 links for you to chew over, as picked by the Technology team
Sky Broadband has moved to reassure people after some of their customers noticed that the third-party SessionCam service appeared to be monitoring private activity upon sensitive parts of the ISPs online account management (
The chances are good that you won't be familiar with SessionCam. It's essentially a powerful visitor tracking tool that allows websites to forensically monitor the activity of their readers, such as by recording key presses, mouse movements, mouse clicks, mobile gestures, scrolling and it can even replay the activity as a video.
The two-year lifespan of an iPad >> PC Pro blog
I'm not arguing that Apple has misled anyone over the longevity of the iPad, nor that any of the first-generation Android tablets have fared any better. But is two years or so of active service really all people expect from a device costing that much? Certainly, if you'd bought a £700 Mac two years ago, you'd expect it to be ticking along merrily today.
iPads, it seems, are closer to smartphones in longevity than they are PCs. Hardware refresh cycles just started spinning a little faster.
(Thanks #beardyweirdy666 for the link.)
Driver-less cars: a
There is some very compelling math behind this idea. So far, most of the analysis of self-driving cars has focused on the cost of upgrading a vehicle to drive itself. The Journal did an article last year where they calculated that the additional sensors and computers needed for such a vehicle cost about
The average American drives 24 minutes to work every day, or 48 minutes per day. That works out to 206 hours per year per worker. The average American salary [PDF] is
By this math, an extra
Tasty business opportunity.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Apple Paid Its Lawyers More Than $60MM to Defeat Samsung in Court
- US Consumer Borrowing Rose $18.2B in Oct.