Aug. 26--The 2013 Los Angeles International Short Film Festival, which arrives Sept. 5 at Laemmle's NoHo 7 in North Hollywood, will feature 280 short films from 17 countries.
The 17th annual festival, which runs for one week and ends Sept. 12, features shorts starring Oscar-winner Cate Blanchett ("A Cautionary Tail") and Jim Broadbent ("The Phone Call"); Oscar nominees Ian McKellen ("The Egg Trick") and Gerard Depardieu ("Frank-Etienne"); as well as Elijah Wood ("Tome of the Unknown"), Michael Richards ("Walk the Light") and Rumer Willis ("Six Letter Word").
"I'm incredibly proud to showcase the short films selected this year," said Domenic Yovina, director of operations/programming, in a statement Monday. "There is a lot of great talent on display here, and I hope this festival serves as a platform for filmmakers to solidify their place in independent film."
The short films will be organized into programs covering the genres of adventure, animation, comedy, documentary, drama, horror and sci-fi, and themes such as love, family, friendship, conflict, suspense, religion and art.
Winners in six categories will be automatically eligible for consideration by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for Oscar nomination. The festival recently gained accreditation from the academy in the short subject documentary category. Over the last 17 years, 44 films featured in the festival have gone on to receive Oscar nominations, with 13 winning the Academy Award.
The festival award winners will be announced on the closing night.
(c)2013 the Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Pope Francis, Huge Crowd Joyously Celebrate Easter
- Automakers Turn to China to Fuel Sales Growth
- GM Boosting China Production Capacity
- GOP Making Bold Play for Oregon Senate Seat
- Confusion, Anger as Sunken Ferry's Relatives Wait
- NASA's Space Station Robonaut Finally Getting Legs
- Report: Iran VP Says Row Over Reactor Resolved
- Ohio Couple Married 70 Years, Die 15 Hours Apart
- Delay in Ferry Evacuation Puzzles Maritime Experts