By CHRIS TALBOTT and MESFIN FEKADU
NEW YORK - Lady Gaga kicked off the MTV Video Music Awards by being predictably unpredictable.
The pop star changed costumes four times Sunday night during her first return to the stage since hip surgery as she performed her new single "Applause."
Gaga appeared to pump in boos as she opened the song in a white nun's habit and square headdress. Black unitard-clad dancers helped her change into a blue miniskirt and jacket with oversized shoulder pads, a black unitard and eventually a thong bikini decorated in shells.
It was the first performance of a night full of stars as the VMAs aired from Brooklyn's Barclays Center for the first time. Justin Timberlake, fellow top nominees Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Katy Perry, Drake, Kanye West, Miley Cyrus and Robin Thicke are among those scheduled to perform.
Follow AP Music Writer Chris Talbott: http://twitter.com/Chris-Talbott.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Updates on Everglades' Stranded Pilot Whales
- NSA Tracks 5 Billion Cellphone Records a Day
- Hezbollah Chief's Assassination Claimed by Sunni Group
- Stolen Cobalt-60 Recovered in Mexico
- Ford Mustang Still Packs Power
- Wind Power and Wildlife Can Coexist
- Allstate Seeks to Invest in Minority Firms
- Sarmiento to Handle Greeley Latin Ops
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Below 300,000
- White House Pushes to Extend Unemployment Benefits