Needed: Brilliant, visionary leader with extraordinary management and technical experience to chart future course of technology and serve as lightning rod for world's frustration with their old computers. Perks include free soda and locker-room towels.
Fortunately for Microsoft and the future health of the
Both are highly respected engineers who would boost
The obvious nearby candidate is
Maritz went on to lead strategy at business computing giant
Perhaps Gates could lure Maritz back for a few years -- he's approaching 60 -- by offering him the moon, and a few nearby planets.
A more likely choice seems to be
The energetic native of
Equally important, Nadella is a fresh face who has charisma and flair.
Speaking to developers in
Maybe Gates and the rest of
Either way, the company may be unable to fully replace Ballmer, who will be remembered as one of the great characters in the story of the
Ballmer is also one of this generation's most misunderstood public figures. That's partly by choice because he opted to stay largely in the background and leave the spotlight on Gates during
Most Popular Stories
- American Airlines, US Airways Complete Merger
- ACA Delay Stresses Small Businesses
- Questions Remain in Jenni Rivera's Death
- Unemployed Wait as Lawmakers Debate
- General Dynamics Plans 200 New Jobs in N.M.
- Harley Issues Motorcycle Recall
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Auto Dealer Builds Big Solar Project
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response