CRICKETER was left CRICKETER Matthew Hoggard was left gutted to get no further than the quarter finals in Celebrity MasterChef.
The Leicestershire player, who used to bowl for England, faced a string of tough challenges but impressed judges John Torode and Gregg Wallace with how committed he was to cooking.
But after making it through the first cut, last night's show was the end of the road.
Speaking afterwards, he said: I'm gutted to be leaving but I really enjoyed my time on the show - if I could do it again, I would. The 36-year-old had 75 minutes to cook up a scallop and king prawn starter with mango and chilli salsa in a Thai curry sauce, followed by roasted Gressingham duck breast with roasted sweet potatoes, stir-fried vegetables and an orange and sesame sauce.
As well as being judged by the show's hosts, the food on last night's show was tasted by three former Celebrity Master-Chef champions - former Eng-land rugby captain Phil Vickery, actress Emma Kennedy and children's television presenter Andi Peters.
Gregg criticised the very confused flavours of Matthew's starter, John said he didn't like the dish at all and Emma said he had an undercooked scallop.
Presenter John said: Right now, I think Matthew's being a bit over ambitious - he's trying too much, too soon.
Celebrity MasterChef is in its eighth series and started off with 16 familiar faces from showbusiness, music and sport. Last night's battle was for a place in the final eight.
Celebrity MasterChef continues next week, when the remaining contestants battle it out for a place in the final.
The next show will be aired on BBC1 at 8pm on Wednesday.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Fed Committee Optimistic About Growth Prospects
- Pot's Legal in WA -- But You Should Probably Ask Your Boss
- How ESPN Became a $50B Sports Empire
- Drive-In Movie Theaters Use Creativity to Afford Digital Switch
- Obama Cites Letter Writers in Pitching Economy
- U.S. Immigration Courts Facing Record Backlog
- Stevie Fielder Changes Tune on Thad Cochran Vote-buying Story
- Pau Gasol Turns Down Lakers' Offer
- President Obama Relishes Roadshow, but Agenda Still Stuck
- Farrell, Kitsch Rumored for Season 2 of 'True Detective'