British actor Stephen Moyer has joined the cast of the live holiday production of "The Sound of Music," NBC announced Friday.
The "True Blood" star will portray decorated World War I hero Capt. Georg Von Trapp, the single father of seven children, in "The Sound of Music," the network said.
"Living in Austria on the cusp of World War II, the militaristic but warm-hearted Von Trapp engages a young governess, Maria, who he hires to take care of his children," a synopsis said.
Carrie Underwood is set to star as Maria in the 3-hour NBC production, which is based on the original 1959 Broadway musical. The program is to air Dec. 5.
A 1965 film version of "The Sound of Music" starred Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer and went on to win five Academy Awards, including Best Picture.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- Budget Deal Will Cut 220,000 Californians Out of Jobless Benefits
- Futures Fall, Holiday Spending and Unemployment Up
- Senate Not So Keen on Budget Deal
- Oil Nears $98 a Barrel
- Health Coverage Disparities Emerge Among States
- Selena Gomez, Shakira Among Top Hispanic Searches
- PhD Project Grooms Business Profs