The assignee for this patent, patent number 8509928, is
Reporters obtained the following quote from the background information supplied by the inventors: "The invention relates to a method for producing a stationary (intense) wave field of arbitrary longitudinal shape and high transverse localization.
"Since many years it has been known that suitable frequency superpositions of Bessel beams, with the same phase velocity, yield localized wave pulses. Such pulses possessed the surprising characteristic of resisting the diffraction effects during their propagation.
"In U.S. Pat. No. 5,081,995 Lu has shown that it is possible to produce a non-diffracting series of (acoustic) pulses by using a piezoelectric transducer consisting in a series of rings. The piezoelectric transducer produces ultrasonic pulses used to increase the field resolution. The use of annular transducers is common, since axial symmetry is convenient for reducing diffraction in the generated wave fields.
"Optical laser-light Bessel beams have been generated by Durnin et al. with a very simple experimental apparatus comprising a laser beam source, an annular slit, and a lens. A gaussian beam generated by the laser beam is transformed into a Bessel beam which is highly non-diffracting.
"It would be of high technical relevance if a wave field could be generated, possessing not only a highly non-diffracting behaviour (i.e., being radially confined relatively to the direction of propagation), but also being confined within a predetermined space-region limited both in its direction of propagation and in its transverse direction. In this situation, inside the interval 0
"Document QING CAO ET AL: 'Axially symmetric on-axis flap-top beam' JOURNAL OF THE OPTICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA A (OPTICS, IMAGE SCIENCE AND VISION) OPT. SOC.
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- Scotch Whisky Sales Raise Distillers' Spirits
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Health Coverage Disparities Emerge Among States
- Podesta Likely to Reject Keystone XL
- Fake Deaf Interpreter Was Hallucinating, Has Schizophrenia
- Tea Party Glum in Face of Bipartisan Budget Deal