Patent application serial number 753078 is assigned to
The following quote was obtained by the news editors from the background information supplied by the inventors: "Today's personal computer user interfaces (UI), such as that implemented in the 'Windows 95' Operating System produced by
"In contrast, a television (TV) is often viewed at a distance, or from across a room. But a typical 2'UI, with its small text and small icons, could not be used to operate a computer from a commensurate distance. A computer equipped with a Distance User Interface (DUI) could be so operated. Accordingly, one practical application in the technical arts of the present invention is providing for the operation of a computer at a television-viewing distance by providing a DUI.
"Interaction with Personal Computers (PCs) can be extended into entertainment centerpieces. Although the PC can be the center of productivity in most homes, no longer are computers being used to merely write a letter or create a spreadsheet. As important as such functions are, there is a growing demand to move the computer from the office to the living room because of its entertainment-providing potential. To share media content such as digital photographs and digitized videos, people must huddle around a computer running a 2'UI operated by a user in close proximity. There exists a problem with easily accessing media content stored on a computer. Such a problem can be solved by providing a DUI, which can be comfortably viewed and easily used to operate the computer from a distance, approximately equal to a television-viewing distance. With a new, easy-to-navigate user interface and a simple remote control, users will have a more relaxed way to enjoy their music, videos and photos with friends and family from their PC.
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients
- Scotch Whisky Sales Raise Distillers' Spirits
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Fake Deaf Interpreter Was Hallucinating, Has Schizophrenia
- Tea Party Glum in Face of Bipartisan Budget Deal
- Budget Deal Will Cut 220,000 Californians Out of Jobless Benefits
- Health Coverage Disparities Emerge Among States