The Chair of Plant Biotechnology from the
Protein production in moss offers advantages over conventional production systems that are based on animal cells: Moss cultures do not contain animal-derived components, or pathogens that can affect humans, nor antibiotics that may cause resistance. Further, products from moss have a superior purity. Recently, scientists from the
The biologists in Freiburg are specialists in moss research and helped to establish Physcomitrella as a model organism for basic biology, biotechnology, and synthetic biology on a worldwide scale. During their analysis of the Physcomitrella genome they discovered novel gene regulatory elements which may help to make protein production in moss even stronger and more reliable. In the new joint project, their know-how will be combined with that of greenovation in the production at large scale. "I am excited that this joint project will allow us to retrieve data from the production process and thus help us to review our results obtained under laboratory conditions", says Reski. "Such public-private co-operations are at the heart of the bioeconomy and will help in generating new job opportunities."
"We are pleased about this opportunity to further enhance product yields from the Moss Bioreactor and to make bioproduction even more predictable and stable in the long run", emphasizes Dr.
Chair Plant Biotechnology
Faculty of Biology
www.plant-biotech.net Click here (http://www.pr.uni-freiburg.de/pm/2013/biologie-moosbioreaktor-reski-en.pdf) for a printable version (pdf) of the press release.
CC AutoTriage5rn-130822-30FurigayJane-4463342 30FurigayJane
Most Popular Stories
- Updates on Everglades' Stranded Pilot Whales
- Stolen Cobalt-60 Recovered in Mexico
- Hezbollah Chief's Assassination Claimed by Sunni Group
- Allstate Seeks to Invest in Minority Firms
- Sarmiento to Handle Greeley Latin Ops
- Wind Power and Wildlife Can Coexist
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Below 300,000
- White House Pushes to Extend Unemployment Benefits
- Ford Mustang Still Packs Power
- Elizabeth Warren Ends 2016 Presidential Rumors