Aug. 22--Lots of DFW connections to Dallas native Deryl Dodd's latest single, Loveletters (aka Loveletters and Cigarettes), starting with the songwriter, Nate Kipp, whose band Nate Kipp & the Road is based in DFW.
Kipp had once tried to pitch the song to Dodd, who says that he was too busy to give it a good listen at the time.
"Luck would have it, one night I was out at Adair's Saloon in Dallas and heard Cody Jinks singing this songs about Virginia and love gone bad," Dodd says in a release. "I asked him did he write it, and Cody informed me that Nate Kipp wrote it. I couldn't get Loveletters, out of my mind for weeks."
Dodd recorded the song for his album, Random as I Am. He persuaded Bryon Weiss and Jason Martin, who produced the video for his Somethin' Ain't Always Better Than Nothin', to come out to Dallas' Noisevault Studio to film him and his band performing Loveletters. (Weiss has done a lot of stunt work in movies and TV, including such DFW-filmed series as Dallas, Chase and Prison Break.)
Dodd didn't forget where he first heard the plaintive ballad: Interspersed with the band's performance in the video are a man and a woman acting out the song's story about a woman named Virginia leaving a guy, and the guy having trouble getting over it. The guy is played by Jinks, another Dallas singer, who tells a little bit more of the story on his blog:
"Nate Kipp wrote and cut Loveletters and Cigarettes seven or so years ago on his record The Real McCoy. I loved the song and started playing it soon thereafter and put it on Less Wise in 2010. Deryl had heard me do it some years back and later called me about it, forgetting Nate had pitched it to him before."
The part of Virginia is played by Heather Stalling, who also plays fiddle in the video. Stalling is one of the co-founders of blacktopGYPSY, which also has Dallas connections. Check out the band's bio at blacktopgypsy.com.
Dodd is scheduled to play Aug. 22 at the Glass Cactus in Grapevine and Sept. 6 at Whiskey Girl Saloon in Fort Worth. And after all that, here's the Loveletters video. Stick around for the credits.
(c)2013 the Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Visit the Fort Worth Star-Telegram at www.star-telegram.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Obama Promoting Economic Gains As Elections Near
- NATO Plans High-Readiness Force to Counter Russia
- As States Legalize Pot, Will Traffic Deaths Rise?
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Conquers the North American Box Office with $16.3M
- GE Capital and Petters-Related Fund in Legal Battle
- California Conservation Conundrum: Water Use Varies Greatly Across State
- Combating Online Abuse Not Easy for Gamers
- Even With Surly 2014 Electorate, It's 'Still an Incumbent's World'
- Feds Want Nuclear Waste Train, but Nowhere to Go