Still, it's not unusual for him to get calls regularly from tech companies looking to recruit him.
Wallaert is a social scientist ? a behavioral scientist who has done undergraduate and graduate work in psychology.
Eight months ago, Wallaert, who also has experience at tech startups, began working at
While the idea of social scientists working at tech companies is not new, "There's been a shift in the industry," Wallaert believes. "They used to shuffle these people into marketing: 'How do we get them to help sell us more things?' Now, they've shifted us into product: 'How do we actually make the thing better.'?"
Wallaert's experience is echoed by some other social scientists at
Many agree their roles have become more integrated with specific product groups within their companies, rather than segregated to marketing or research.
In the past few years, with the rise of social computing and social media, tech companies have come to understand that, "It's not enough to understand the individual user," said
"There really is no business any more that sells directly to one consumer," he said. "Every enterprise is now a social enterprise."
Social science research forms a substantial part of the work of the
A number of those researchers are studying some aspect of social networking.
"As technology becomes the mediator of our social interactions, it's essential that research in technology incorporate deep research in social science," Chayes said. "Otherwise, we design systems that don't do what we would like them to do for people or don't do what people would like."
Most Popular Stories
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise