NEW documentary Viramundo, screening as a one-off at the Broadway Cinema, shows the legendary Gilberto Gil as musical ambassador in full flow.
Now in his 70s, his long career has transcended music, arcing into activism and politics, including a stint as Brazil's Minister of Culture.
The film shows him cutting a swathe across the southern hemisphere as both cultural ambassador as musician in his native Brazil, then in South Africa and Australia. It's a leisurely affair, largely driven by the music and somewhat reminiscent of Buena Vista Social Club.
Viramundo is screened Thursday at 6:30pm at Broadway. Visit broadway.org.uk for more information.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Obama Seeks to Stay Neutral in CIA-Senate Conflict
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- Natural Gas Discovery Could Lead to Cleaner Fuels