NEW documentary Viramundo, screening as a one-off at the Broadway Cinema, shows the legendary Gilberto Gil as musical ambassador in full flow.
Now in his 70s, his long career has transcended music, arcing into activism and politics, including a stint as Brazil's Minister of Culture.
The film shows him cutting a swathe across the southern hemisphere as both cultural ambassador as musician in his native Brazil, then in South Africa and Australia. It's a leisurely affair, largely driven by the music and somewhat reminiscent of Buena Vista Social Club.
Viramundo is screened Thursday at 6:30pm at Broadway. Visit broadway.org.uk for more information.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Updates on Everglades' Stranded Pilot Whales
- NSA Tracks 5 Billion Cellphone Records a Day
- Hezbollah Chief's Assassination Claimed by Sunni Group
- Stolen Cobalt-60 Recovered in Mexico
- Wind Power and Wildlife Can Coexist
- Ford Mustang Still Packs Power
- Allstate Seeks to Invest in Minority Firms
- Sarmiento to Handle Greeley Latin Ops
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Below 300,000
- White House Pushes to Extend Unemployment Benefits