SASKATOON, SASKATCHEWAN -- (Marketwired) -- 08/19/13 -- The Honourable Peter MacKay, P.C., Q.C., M.P., Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, participated in the Canadian Bar Association (CBA) Legal Conference, where he highlighted the Government of Canada's justice agenda.
"Over the past seven years, our Government has made strides in many areas of criminal law to make our streets and communities safer," said Minister MacKay. "We will continue to hold violent offenders accountable, champion the rights of victims and increase the efficiency of our justice system."
Minister MacKay spoke with CBA members about the Government of Canada's commitment to ensuring that streets and communities are safe and to restoring Canadians' confidence in the criminal justice system. He also highlighted a number of the Government's key justice priorities.
"Victims of crime continue to be a top priority for the Government of Canada, and the Government is committed to giving victims a more effective voice in the criminal justice and corrections systems," said Minister MacKay. "The Government is also committed to protecting the most vulnerable members of society by cracking down on criminals who commit sexual offences against children, and addressing the harmful behaviours associated with cyberbullying."
Minister MacKay also spoke on the Government's commitment to strengthening the criminal justice system's response to impaired driving and taking action to ensure its efficiency in coordination with provincial and territorial governments and other participants in the criminal justice system.
(Version francaise disponible)
Follow us on Twitter (@JusticeCanadaEn), join us on Facebook or visit our YouTube channel.
Office of the Minister of Justice
Department of Justice
Most Popular Stories
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise