A Tennessee lawmaker said he'll challenge incumbent Lamar Alexander in next
year's Republican primary for the U.S. Senate.
State Rep. Joe Carr called the 73-year-old Alexander "the most liberal" member of Tennessee's GOP delegation, The (Nashville) Tennessean reported Tuesday.
Carr is a fierce advocate of the Second Amendment and frequent sponsor of bills that have irritated immigration advocates. He was elected to his seat in the Tennessee House of Representatives in 2008.
Insiders have anticipated a Tea Party candidate would challenge Alexander.
Most Popular Stories
- Alabama House Speaker Arrested on Felony Ethics Charges
- 'Fury' Blows 'Gone Girl' Out of the Box Office
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- ISIS Seeks to Expand Terror War
- Prius Drivers Battle Stereotypes
- Clinton Rallies Early Vote for Landrieu
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals
- Car Drivers Warned to Get Air Bags Fixed
- 'Fury' Gets Into Soldiers' Minds: Brad Pitt