A Tennessee lawmaker said he'll challenge incumbent Lamar Alexander in next
year's Republican primary for the U.S. Senate.
State Rep. Joe Carr called the 73-year-old Alexander "the most liberal" member of Tennessee's GOP delegation, The (Nashville) Tennessean reported Tuesday.
Carr is a fierce advocate of the Second Amendment and frequent sponsor of bills that have irritated immigration advocates. He was elected to his seat in the Tennessee House of Representatives in 2008.
Insiders have anticipated a Tea Party candidate would challenge Alexander.
Most Popular Stories
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Ukraine Says Russians Firing Across the Border
- Ford Q2 Net Profit up 6 Percent
- U.S. Weighs Refugee Status for Immigrant Kids