A Tennessee lawmaker said he'll challenge incumbent Lamar Alexander in next
year's Republican primary for the U.S. Senate.
State Rep. Joe Carr called the 73-year-old Alexander "the most liberal" member of Tennessee's GOP delegation, The (Nashville) Tennessean reported Tuesday.
Carr is a fierce advocate of the Second Amendment and frequent sponsor of bills that have irritated immigration advocates. He was elected to his seat in the Tennessee House of Representatives in 2008.
Insiders have anticipated a Tea Party candidate would challenge Alexander.
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Illinois Issues Fracking Rules
- Detroit Muslim Conference Stirs Controversy
- Startups Offer Smartphone Banking Apps
- 'Longmire' Cancelled, Looks for New Network
- Clippers Deal Started With 2 Numbers
- Hip-Hop Takes Up Ferguson Cause
- Echeveste Steps Down, Perez Steps Up at VPE
- Immigration Delay Throws Both Parties a Curve
- Canada, Russia Go to War (on Twitter)