Aug. 02--- "I'm kind of like a wrecking ball in his life, which he loves," said filmmaker Tom Berninger during a Wednesday session of the Film Fest film school. Berninger set out to make a documentary about his brother's band, The National, but eventually produced a documentary about his relationship with his famous brother.
- Michael Moore called Thursday's panel, "Hollywood's New Breed," with filmmakers Brit Marling and Zal Batmanglij, "probably the best discussion in the nine years of the Film Festival."
- @benjaminkramer: I'm going to have to crowdsource my 9pm #TCFF screening selection. Do I try to see THE EAST, A HIJACKING, A BAND CALLED DEATH, or LOVELACE?
- By 1:55 p.m. Thursday there were 26 people waiting in the standby line outside the State Theatre. They were loitering along the sidewalk in hopes there might be empty seats left for the 3 p.m. screening of "Kon-Tiki." There were three separate groups of people in the line talking about where they should eat should they not be admitted to the screening.
- @sunshinyday: Napped in wood near Milliken. Now pumped for Pervert's Guide to Ideology.
- Elizabeth Rucki, manager of Plamondon Shoes, said she could tell by the relative lull in foot traffic along Front Street that screenings were in progress at about 1:30 p.m. Thursday. "It comes in waves," she said of the crowds that sometimes pack the sidewalks and the store. Rucki estimated about 300 customers each day during the festival walk through the doors to the store.
- Spotted downtown: Very cool retail store windows with a nod to the Film Fest. Our favorite? Wilson's Antiques.
- @KelseyBoudjalis: Today I got to take the letters off of The State Theatre's marquee and put the next title on while volunteering.
(c)2013 The Record-Eagle (Traverse City, Mich.)
Visit The Record-Eagle (Traverse City, Mich.) at record-eagle.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Family Dollar Spurning Bid From Dollar General
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006