The number of dolphins found dead along the New Jersey coast reached 58
Robert Schoelkopf, director of the Marine Mammal Stranding Center in Brigantine, has said that the dolphins appear to be dying from a viral pneumonia, although the cause is unknown.
On Sunday, the dolphins appeared in various locations, including Long Beach Island and Seaside Heights.
The deaths have been declared an "unusual mortality event" by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration because of the significant number of dolphins found between New York and Virginia.
(c)2013 The Press of Atlantic City (Pleasantville, N.J.)
Visit The Press of Atlantic City (Pleasantville, N.J.) at www.pressofatlanticcity.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8