The number of dolphins found dead along the New Jersey coast reached 58
Robert Schoelkopf, director of the Marine Mammal Stranding Center in Brigantine, has said that the dolphins appear to be dying from a viral pneumonia, although the cause is unknown.
On Sunday, the dolphins appeared in various locations, including Long Beach Island and Seaside Heights.
The deaths have been declared an "unusual mortality event" by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration because of the significant number of dolphins found between New York and Virginia.
(c)2013 The Press of Atlantic City (Pleasantville, N.J.)
Visit The Press of Atlantic City (Pleasantville, N.J.) at www.pressofatlanticcity.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- FAA to Appeal Court Decision Allowing Commercial Drone Use
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- Spotify Picking up Echo Nest
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday