The number of dolphins found dead along the New Jersey coast reached 58
Robert Schoelkopf, director of the Marine Mammal Stranding Center in Brigantine, has said that the dolphins appear to be dying from a viral pneumonia, although the cause is unknown.
On Sunday, the dolphins appeared in various locations, including Long Beach Island and Seaside Heights.
The deaths have been declared an "unusual mortality event" by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration because of the significant number of dolphins found between New York and Virginia.
(c)2013 The Press of Atlantic City (Pleasantville, N.J.)
Visit The Press of Atlantic City (Pleasantville, N.J.) at www.pressofatlanticcity.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Rocket Explodes During U.S. Test Flight
- Short-Term Loans Comes at a Heavy Price
- Koch Brothers Took Genes, Money in Different Directions
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Is Diversity in the Eye of the Beholder?
- 'Mythbusters' Build Team Gets the Boot
- Jennifer Lopez Would Marry Again
- Florida Judge Rules in Favor of GOP Voter Map
- Investors Betting on ECB Stimulus Measures