The number of dolphins found dead along the New Jersey coast reached 58
Robert Schoelkopf, director of the Marine Mammal Stranding Center in Brigantine, has said that the dolphins appear to be dying from a viral pneumonia, although the cause is unknown.
On Sunday, the dolphins appeared in various locations, including Long Beach Island and Seaside Heights.
The deaths have been declared an "unusual mortality event" by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration because of the significant number of dolphins found between New York and Virginia.
(c)2013 The Press of Atlantic City (Pleasantville, N.J.)
Visit The Press of Atlantic City (Pleasantville, N.J.) at www.pressofatlanticcity.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Boehner Lashes Out Against Ted Cruz, Far Right
- Hawaii Official Who Release Obama Certificate Only Victim of Plane Crash
- Ford Plans New Cars, Jobs in 2014
- 'Rape Insurance' Bill Passes in Michigan
- Ted Cruz Coloring Book Selling Briskly
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Gold, Silver Slide on Prospects of Fed Exit
- Kim Jong Un's Uncle Executed
- Grizzly Bears Could Be Taken Off Endangered List
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients