The list of SpaceX's property holdings in Cameron County
continues to grow.
The space exploration firm based in California that is considering development of a rocket launch facility near Boca Chica Beach purchased four more lots.
The purchase follows a commitment of $15 million and other legislation from the state aimed at luring Space Exploration Technologies Corp., to Texas.
The firm now owns 12 lots in Cameron County. The most recent purchases were made in July from a private investor who bought the four lots in 2007 at property tax sales, according to public records.
SpaceX's practice is not to comment on land purchases pending the finalization of the environmental impact statement and a decision about the launch location.
The time-frame for public comment on the environmental impact statement concluded June 24.
The Federal Aviation Administration has been analyzing the potential effects of SpaceX's proposal to launch the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy orbital vertical launch vehicles and a variety of smaller reusable suborbital launch vehicles from the county site.
The site that entrepreneur Elon Musk is considering is near Boca Chica Beach, off State Highway 4, about a quarter-mile from Boca Chica Beach and about 3 miles north of the U.S.-Mexico border. The site is about 5 miles south of Port Isabel and South Padre Island.
Musk's staff also has been exploring sites in Florida, Puerto Rico and Georgia.
The four additional lots were purchased by SpaceX's Dogleg Park LLC on July 12.
Two of the lots measure 0.3909 of an acre each, a third measures 0.5409 of an acre and the fourth lot measures 0.5739 of an acre.
SpaceX began purchasing Cameron County properties in June 2012.
(c)2013 Valley Morning Star (Harlingen, Texas)
Visit Valley Morning Star (Harlingen, Texas) at www.valleymorningstar.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction
- Justin Bieber Loses Cool Over Selena Gomez
- Maya Angelou Cancels Milagro Gala Appearance Due to Illness
- Spotify Picking up Echo Nest
- Getty Releases Millions of Images for Free Via Embed Tool
- GOP 2016 Hopefuls Face Off at CPAC
- Goya Nutritionist Answers Demand for Healthy Hispanic Dishes