OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 08/16/13 -- Eighteen Royal Canadian Army Cadets and three Cadet Instructors Cadre Officers from across Canada will participate in the Royal Canadian Army Cadet National Expedition from August 19 to September 7, 2013, on and around the islands that make up Haida Gwaii in British Columbia.
"This national expedition provides cadets with the opportunity to develop self-reliance and leadership skills," said the Honourable Robert Nicholson, Minister of National Defence. "The expedition will also challenge cadets to improve their decision-making and problem solving, teamwork, and resourcefulness."
The focus of this expedition will be on sea kayaking and hiking, and will provide cadets the opportunity to observe Moresby Island, cultural activities on Haida Gwaii, and the East Beach Trail in Naikoon Provincial Park.
The Army Cadet Expedition, the premier Army Cadet activity, is the culmination of at least four years of training, and requires a superior level of fitness and maturity.
"The Army Cadet League of Canada is proud to support the Army Cadet Expedition," said Wayne Foster, National President of the Army Cadet League. "Since 2000, the Army Cadet League has raised funds to help provide some additional equipment, specific to each expedition, to ensure cadets enjoy a first-class experience. Our members and donors take great pride in supporting Army Cadets in a meaningful way."
The Cadet Program is a national program for youth aged 12 to 18. It is sponsored by the Department of National Defence in partnership with three civilian organizations: the Navy League, Army Cadet League and Air Cadet League.
For more information related to the Expedition program, please visit www.cadets.ca.
Captain Kimberley Caron
Chief Reserves and Cadets Public Affairs Officer
613-992-6865; Cell: 613-316-6545
Most Popular Stories
- Adam Levine Wins Big as 'The Voice' Crowns Champ
- Target Security Breach May Affect 40 Million Cardholders
- Archer Daniels Midland Moving HQ to Chicago
- Tyson Foods Charged With Civil Rights Violation
- 'Beyonce' Tops the U.S. Album Chart
- Bernanke Lets Congress Have It in Final Press Conference
- Wall Street Falls a Day After Surge
- Texting With Vodka: Booze and Social Media Can Mix After All
- Hispanic PR Firm Launches Chicago Chapter
- How to Protect Yourself After Target Data Breach