El Paso police have arrested a Mineral Wells, Texas, man who allegedly
hosted fake job fairs at area hotels in order to steal personal information from
Police said Jose Luz Salcido Jr., 53, using the alias David Hernandez and doing business as Jaimarie Investments LLC., advertised on Craigslist that he was seeking representatives to sell small business credit services.
Applicants were directed to a rent-by-day office for a short interview, which led to the applicant being "hired."
The applicant was then asked to provide personal information such as their name, date of birth, Social Security number and bank account information.
Police allege Salcido also organized job fairs over the past week at the Hilton Garden Inn hotel at 6650 Gateway East, and the Holiday Inn Express at 11825 Gateway West.
"Investigators are also following up on the possibility that Salcido may be involved in additional scams to fraudulently obtain cash funds from victims who believed his alias, David Hernandez was a legitimate business person," police spokesman Darrel Petry said in a news release.
Investigators say that anyone who may have attended these job fairs, or has information relating to Salcido and Jaimarie Investments, is asked to call 564-7130.
Salcido has been arrested on suspicion of theft over $1,500/under $20,000 and booked into the El Paso County Jail on a $5,000 bond.
Additional charges might be pending.
Adriana M. Chavez may be reached at 546-6117.
(c)2013 the El Paso Times (El Paso, Texas)
Visit the El Paso Times (El Paso, Texas) at www.elpasotimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder