Hezbollah Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah blamed Israel for a car bomb in
Beirut, Lebanon that killed 21 people and injured 250 others.
The Lebanese army said the bomb went off Thursday evening in the Ruwaiss neighborhood as people were returning home from work for the day.
Ruwaiss is considered a Hezbollah stronghold, The Daily Star reported.
Authorities were investigating whether the bombing was a suicide attack, security sources, whose names were not reported, told the newspaper.
A group referring to itself as Brigade of Aisha, the Mother of the Faithful claimed responsibility for the attack. The group was previously unheard of and possible affiliations with other groups were not reported.
Nasrallah said Israel was behind the attack, perhaps in retaliation for a Hezbollah attack on Israeli soldiers who had crossed the border into Lebanon, The Daily Star said.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief