Hezbollah Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah blamed Israel for a car bomb in
Beirut, Lebanon that killed 21 people and injured 250 others.
The Lebanese army said the bomb went off Thursday evening in the Ruwaiss neighborhood as people were returning home from work for the day.
Ruwaiss is considered a Hezbollah stronghold, The Daily Star reported.
Authorities were investigating whether the bombing was a suicide attack, security sources, whose names were not reported, told the newspaper.
A group referring to itself as Brigade of Aisha, the Mother of the Faithful claimed responsibility for the attack. The group was previously unheard of and possible affiliations with other groups were not reported.
Nasrallah said Israel was behind the attack, perhaps in retaliation for a Hezbollah attack on Israeli soldiers who had crossed the border into Lebanon, The Daily Star said.
Most Popular Stories
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- 10 Things to Know About Alibaba
- Five Steps to Protect Yourself from Data Breaches
- Concur Sold to SAP for $8.3B
- Chrysler Recalls Nearly 189,000 SUVs
- Federal Probe Finds Christie Did Not Order 'Bridgegate'
- Intruder Gets into White House
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton