Hezbollah Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah blamed Israel for a car bomb in
Beirut, Lebanon that killed 21 people and injured 250 others.
The Lebanese army said the bomb went off Thursday evening in the Ruwaiss neighborhood as people were returning home from work for the day.
Ruwaiss is considered a Hezbollah stronghold, The Daily Star reported.
Authorities were investigating whether the bombing was a suicide attack, security sources, whose names were not reported, told the newspaper.
A group referring to itself as Brigade of Aisha, the Mother of the Faithful claimed responsibility for the attack. The group was previously unheard of and possible affiliations with other groups were not reported.
Nasrallah said Israel was behind the attack, perhaps in retaliation for a Hezbollah attack on Israeli soldiers who had crossed the border into Lebanon, The Daily Star said.
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- Three Americans on Missing Malaysia Airlines Plane: State Department
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill