Aug. 16--STERLING -- After more than a year of waiting, Sterling residents soon will have a new theater.
The Sterling Theater, 402 Locust St., will open a week from today and will show movies on its two screens every Friday, Saturday and Sunday for the first month.
The brew-and-view style theater will serve beer and wine, non-alcoholic beverages and movie staples such as nachos and popcorn, along with small appetizers such as mozzarella sticks and Chicago-style hot dogs.
After a month, the theater will run movies every day and start showing first-run movies, theater owner Skip Huston said.
Getting first-run status, Huston said, was a big achievement for the theater. It'll start its first-run movies with "Gravity" in 3D, starring George Clooney and Sandra Bullock.
But the first two movies the theater will show are "The Way Way Back" and "Unfinished Song," both rated PG-13, Huston said.
Neither has played in the Sterling area before, a trend he wants to continue at his movie house -- he wants the theater to show more than just blockbusters. By doing so, Huston believes he can compete with the Carmike Sauk Valley 8 theater, he said.
(c)2013 the Daily Gazette (Sterling, Ill.)
Visit the Daily Gazette (Sterling, Ill.) at www.saukvalley.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- GM to Stop Making Autos in Australia
- Selena Gomez, Shakira Among Top Hispanic Searches
- PhD Project Grooms Business Profs
- How Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies Work
- It's Primary Time in Texas
- How to Survive a Subzero Stranding
- Pacific Trade Pact Delay Hinders U.S. Pivot to Asia