SAN DIEGO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 08/16/13 -- Bio-Matrix Scientific Group Inc. (OTCQB: BMSN) provided an update today on the cancer immunotherapy program currently under development by Regen BioPharma Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of BMSN.
"The operating objective of Regen BioPharma is to identify, develop, and commercialize intellectual property which has demonstrated preclinical efficacy, and addresses significant markets," said David Koos, CEO of Regen BioPharma. "On May 6, 2013, we acquired issued patent # 8,389,708 from Dr. Wei-Ping Min of the University of Western Ontario, as well as proprietary know-how covering means of inducing immune mediated killing of melanoma and breast cancer. This data has been published in two peer-reviewed scientific publications (1, 2). Last week, we licensed from Benitec Australia Ltd rights to patented biological mechanisms that control the gene manipulation processes. These processes dovetail into the Wei-Ping Min technology to induce regression of cancer. We believe that the combination of these patents provide us international patent coverage for development of this technology into clinical trials and eventually as a non-toxic alternative to current day chemotherapy and radiotherapy."
Current day cancer immunotherapy is based on stimulating immune responses to cancer cells. Unfortunately, in the majority of patients, the tumor reduces ability of the immune response to kill the tumor resulting in reduced efficiency of many prior cancer vaccines.
By blocking the mechanisms by which the tumor escapes from the immune response, several companies have developed successful cancer drugs, for example, Bristol-Myers Squibb, which developed Ipilimumab which had 2012 sales of $706 million (3). Ipilimumab blocks the immune inhibitory molecule CTLA-4, which results in augmentation of immune responses.
"Regen's approach, which is currently in late-stage preclinical testing, involves blocking the immune suppressive gene IDO, while concurrently using dendritic cells to stimulate the immune system," said Dr. Thomas Ichim, Chief Scientific Officer for Regen BioPharma. "Through the combination approach, and based on the published data, we are hoping to offer a new weapon in the fight against breast cancer."
Regen BioPharma is currently conducting toxicology experiments on its therapeutic approach, with anticipated FDA filing in the 4th Quarter of 2013.
1. Zheng et al. Silencing IDO in dendritic cells: a novel approach to enhance cancer immunotherapy in a murine breast cancer model. Int J Cancer. 2013 Feb 15;132(4):967-77.
2. Zheng et al. Reinstalling antitumor immunity by inhibiting tumor-derived immunosuppressive molecule IDO through RNA interference. J Immunol. 2006 Oct 15;177(8):5639-46.
About Regen BioPharma: Regen BioPharma, Inc., a subsidiary of Bio-Matrix Scientific Group, Inc. (OTCQB: BMSN), is a biotechnology company focused on identifying undervalued regenerative medicine applications in the stem cell space and rapidly advancing these technologies through pre-clinical and Phase I/ II clinical trials. For more information refer to the company's website http://www.regenbiopharma.com/
Disclaimer: This news release may contain forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are inherently subject to risks and uncertainties, some of which cannot be predicted or quantified. Future events and actual results could differ materially from those set forth in, contemplated by, or underlying the forward-looking statements. The risks and uncertainties to which forward looking statements are subject include, but are not limited to, the effect of government regulation, competition and other material risks.
Bio-Matrix Scientific Group, Inc. and
Regen BioPharma Inc.
David R. Koos, PhD
Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?