San Diego Mayor Bob Filner, facing a recall and allegations of sexual
misconduct, has been banned from the city's downtown Hooters restaurant, the
After a local radio talk-show host suggested downtown restaurants post signs in their windows advising that Filner's patronage is not welcome, a Hooters corporate Twitter post said the San Diego Hooters acted on its own, reading, "Our Hooters Girls in San Diego have spoken. Not a corporate gig, but we support our girls."
Filner, 70, entered an intensive behavior therapy on July 29, and attorney James Payne said his client completed that phase of treatment and will continue out-patient treatment. Filner has not been back to work.
Refusing to resign after allegations he groped and made lewd comments toward numerous women, Filner, is also embroiled in a recall effort gathering 100,000 signatures to force him from office, and city councilman Kevin Faulconer is questioning charges of more than $500 by a downtown hotel on Filner's official city credit card, CNN reported.
The taxpayer-paid card has charges ranging from less than $30 to $111 at the Westgate Hotel, across the street from City Hall, and regulars at the hotel bar, who asked not to be identified, said Filner was often in the bar and usually in the company of a different woman, CNN said.
"San Diegans want a mayor that doesn't grope and demean women, who doesn't abuse his office to satisfy a perverted quest for a sense of power," said Michael Pallamary, head of the recall effort.
Most Popular Stories
- Fed Committee Optimistic About Growth Prospects
- Pot's Legal in WA -- But You Should Probably Ask Your Boss
- How ESPN Became a $50B Sports Empire
- Drive-In Movie Theaters Use Creativity to Afford Digital Switch
- Obama Cites Letter Writers in Pitching Economy
- Pau Gasol Turns Down Lakers' Offer
- U.S. Immigration Courts Facing Record Backlog
- President Obama Relishes Roadshow, but Agenda Still Stuck
- Stevie Fielder Changes Tune on Thad Cochran Vote-buying Story
- Farrell, Kitsch Rumored for Season 2 of 'True Detective'