Gia Allemand, a contestant on season 14 of "The Bachelor" died Wednesday in New Orleans of an apparent suicide, the family announced. She was 29.
According to People.com, the family decided to take Allemand off life support "due to a critical loss of brain and organ function." She was rushed to the hospital Monday night when her boyfriend, NBA player Ryan Anderson of the New Orleans Pelicans, found her unconscious.
"Ms. Allemand passed away peacefully with her mother, boyfriend, and other lifelong friends by her side. As a practicing Christian, Gia did receive the sacrament of last rites," the family said in the statement provided to People.
Allemand was on season 14 of the hit television show where she competed for bachelor Jake Pavelka's affection. She lost to winner Vienna Girardi. After appearing on the show, she went on to appear on the "Bachelor Pad" and modeled professionally.
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security