THIS week I went to see the new blockbuster The Lone Ranger.
A rejuvenated take on the classic television series and popular 1981 film.
Directed by Gore Verbinski (Pirates Of The Caribbean), who has done a mind-blowing job telling the story of how an everyday law abiding man entangles himself into a world he had once left behind.
John Reid (Armie Hammer) follows his great warrior brother Dan Reid and becomes a Texas ranger, carrying on the family tradition.
He is a masked rider with a seemingly incomprehensible partner in the form of Tonto (Johnny Depp) a Comanche Indian.
Reid pursues notorious criminal Butch Cavendish against all obstacles.
Johnny Depp is fantastic as Tonto. His interpretation as a wandering spirit on a mission of justice, disillusioned and driven mad by pain, is hilarious yet incredibly believable despite the comedy he creates.
Depp's characterisation is similar to that of his ever popular role of pirate Jack Sparrow, however his comic ability and way as an actor is as brilliant as ever. He makes this role his own.
The cinematography created in this beautifully shot movie is to be in awe of.
Receiving a lot of criticism for its enormous budget is neither here nor there as it is a film completely worthy of pulling in big screen crowds.
There are real stunts, real action sequences and trains being blown up everywhere you look.
This isn't going to come cheap and I for one believe the money is very much worth it in comparison to the CGI films filling the cinemas of late.
Its authenticity is remarkable. Armie Hammer (The Social Network) was pleasantly surprising as the masked ranger and his on screen chemistry with Depp made the film as brilliant as it is.
Its an action packed adventure with violence that doesn't ever come across as ridiculous or unnecessary. If you remember the original then there are plenty of references throughout to keep you happy, and if your looking for a new hero that doesn't run around in lycra then the Lone Ranger is definitely worth checking out.
Its perfect for the whole family and something to keep you entertained during the summer holidays.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11