Aug. 13--The most adventurous movie programming in town is taking place at Trylon Microcinema in Minneapolis, including an upcoming pair of quirky romantic comedies.
Presented by the Sound Unseen Music and Movies Festival (which is coming up this fall), both movies have at least a bit to do with music and both are original charmers. That's the good news; the bad news is you only have one shot to see them, on Wednesday, Aug. 14.
"An Oversimplification of Her Beauty" comes first. Deeply personal and utterly unique, "Oversimplification" feels sort of like you've been let into the brain of the main character, a Brooklyn hipster, as he unsuccessfully tries to fall asleep. Instead, he's tormented by thoughts of a woman he failed to
hook up with. It was her fault, it was his fault, it was some stranger's fault, it was "The Cosby Show's" fault -- all of these possibilities emerge in a series of chaptered scenes that, like his thoughts, take a variety of forms: question-and-answer interviews, hand-drawn animation, clay animation, overheard dialogue on a subway and something that resembles a lecture delivered by a college professor who knows a whole lot about the way our hero's brain works. With music by the band, Flying Lotus, it screens at 7 p.m.
"The History of Future Folk," showing at 9 p.m., is a crowd-pleaser about a folk duo who, we quickly learn, are actually visitors from another planet. There's a bit of "Flight of the Conchords" wackiness in "Future Folk," but it's also a sweet father/daughter tale, a suspenseful adventure and, ultimately, two surprisingly affecting romances.
Tickets to each movie are $8. Trylon Microcinema is at 3258 Minnehaha Ave., Minneapolis.
Chris Hewitt can be reached at 651-228-5552. Follow him on twitter.com/ChrisHMovie.
(c)2013 the Pioneer Press (St. Paul, Minn.)
Visit the Pioneer Press (St. Paul, Minn.) at www.twincities.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Florida Warns Beach-goers About Flesh-eating Bacteria
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth
- Sutherland Responds to 'Unprofessional' Jibe
- LivePro Is a Mobile Hot Spot, Projector in One
- How to Fit Green Energy Into Your Portfolio
- Sanctions Will Hit Russia Hard if Not Lifted Quickly
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian
- Neighbor Warns Chris Brown to Stay Off His Property
- U.S. Economy Grows at Fastest Pace in 10 Years
- Jerry Brown Favors More Shelters for Immigrant Kids