Apple plans to unveil updated models of its iPad tablet computer - to go along with new iPhone versions coming in September - ahead of the important Christmas shopping season, reports said Tuesday.
The news about the new iPads comes on the heels of weekend reports in the Wall Street Journal about a new iPhone model to be launched September 10.
The new iPad models - including a thinner iPad and an iPad mini with a higher resolution screen - will be released at a later event, a source told Bloomberg financial news agency.
The new iPad will more closely resemble the design of the existing iPad mini, Bloomberg said.
Apple's share of the tablet business dropped to around 32 per cent in the second quarter from almost 40 per cent in the first, according to market researcher IDC. Android cemented its lead at nearly 63 per cent, while shipments of Windows tablets grew to 4 per cent of the market.
But experts say the lack of new iPad models has slowed down the entire tablet market.
Apple's iOS 7, a refresh of its mobile operating system, is already scheduled for a third quarter release. It is expected the new devices will run it.
The new iOS version turns away from Apple's previous real-world-inspired designs, but some technology writers have compared its appearance to that of the Windows Phone.
Most Popular Stories
- 2014 World Cup Official Noisemakers Quieter than Vuvuzelas
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief