I CAN'T quite remember whether it was my parents' choice or my own but the Golden Girls was a TV staple in our house in the 80s and 90s.
The show aired from 1985 to 1992 and starred Bea Arthur, Betty White, Rue McClanahan and Estelle Getty, above. These talented actress played off each other to hilarious effect.
Not having a lot in common with any of my neighbours in Stoke-on- Trent, the show revolved around four older, single women sharing a house in Miami, Florida.
Three were widows and one was a divorcee.
The Golden Girls was easy, family viewing but it also had its fair share of critical acclaim.
The show won several awards, including the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Comedy Series twice. It also won three Golden Globe Awards for Best Television Series - Musical or Comedy.
All four stars each received an Emmy Award throughout the series.
The Golden Girls was a huge success for NBC across the world.
The show is still perfect viewing and best enjoyed with a cup of tea and some biscuits.
REVIEWER: Mary-ann Astle.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?