I CAN'T quite remember whether it was my parents' choice or my own but the Golden Girls was a TV staple in our house in the 80s and 90s.
The show aired from 1985 to 1992 and starred Bea Arthur, Betty White, Rue McClanahan and Estelle Getty, above. These talented actress played off each other to hilarious effect.
Not having a lot in common with any of my neighbours in Stoke-on- Trent, the show revolved around four older, single women sharing a house in Miami, Florida.
Three were widows and one was a divorcee.
The Golden Girls was easy, family viewing but it also had its fair share of critical acclaim.
The show won several awards, including the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Comedy Series twice. It also won three Golden Globe Awards for Best Television Series - Musical or Comedy.
All four stars each received an Emmy Award throughout the series.
The Golden Girls was a huge success for NBC across the world.
The show is still perfect viewing and best enjoyed with a cup of tea and some biscuits.
REVIEWER: Mary-ann Astle.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- #myNYPD Twitter Campaign Backfires for NYPD
- First-time Jobless Claims Jump by 24,000
- Justin Bieber's War Shrine Pic Causes Flap
- Wellness Programs Grow More Popular With Employers
- First Lady Announces Job Site for Veterans
- Putin Says Internet Is CIA Plot
- Tesla Expanding Its California Operations
- Google, SunPower Team Up on Solar Power
- Retirement: Why $1 Million Won't Be Enough
- Boeing Flying High With Strong First Quarter