A California woman, who taunted law enforcement on Twitter after fleeing to
Mexico, pleaded not guilty to failing to appear in court while on bail.
Wanda Lee Ann Podgurski, 60, failed to show up to court when the verdict was read in her case in January. She had fled to Rosarito, Mexico.
Podgurski was found guilty and was sentenced in absentia last month to 20 years and four months in state prison for 29 felony counts related to an insurance and disability scam,.
She faked injuries to collect payments of more than $650,000 from insurance companies.
Police caught up with Podgurski last week after she posted a Twitter message to San Diego County District Attorney Michelle Dumanis saying "Catch me if you can," KSWB-TV, San Diego, reported.
The Computer and Technology Crime High-Tech Response Team traced her location through her Twitter account, officials said.
Podgurski was ordered to remain in jail without bail and faces an additional two years and eight months in prison if convicted of failing to appear in court, KSWB said.
Most Popular Stories
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Family Dollar Spurning Bid From Dollar General
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype