Austin tech startup Rallyhood has raised $1.7 million to help expand its user base and form new partnerships.
Rallyhood, whose website and app are used to help groups manage their activities, has raised a total of $3.2 million in Series A funding from some high-profile investors, including former Dell Inc. executive Tom Meredith. Since the company's inception, it has raised nearly $4 million.
Founded in 2010 by entrepreneur Patti Rogers, Rallyhood lets groups or individuals organize an event -- such as a fundraiser or family reunion -- from a single site. The online and mobile service lets users create a site in seconds, and provides tools for sharing information, including calendars, files, messages, photos, signups and money collection.
"If the essence of life is community and how we interact with other individuals and groups, then Rallyhood is destined to be massively successful as it will become a critical component of our daily lives," said Meredith, who is the current chairman of Austin-based Bazaarvoice.
Officials say the recently raised money will be used to improve the product's usability as well as expand partnerships with schools, healthcare providers and nonprofits while also growing the user base.
Meredith said he's been impressed with Rogers' passion and energy. He also said Rallyhood takes an "otherwise fragmented world of sharing" and helps people save time and be more productive.
"I actually think she has her hands around the tail of a tiger," he said.
The professional world has a number of collaborative tools but there aren't as many for consumers, he said.
"Rallyhood actually tackles that segment in a way that I think nobody else has," Meredith said.
Rallyhood employs 12 people locally and has partnered with organizations such as Dell Children's Medical Center, LiveStrong Foundation, and Girl Scout troops around the country.
There are 1,000 Girl Scout troops currently using Rallyhood, Rogers said.
"To grow it to where we are today and to have the runway that we're seeing in front of us is super inspiring and gets us up and going," she said.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?