OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 07/09/13 -- As Governor General of Canada, I wanted to share with all Canadians a message I received from Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall expressing their dismay following the tragedy in Lac-Megantic, Quebec, and the devastating floods in Alberta.
"I wanted you to know how deeply my wife and I feel for the people of the Quebecois community of Lac-Megantic who are suffering from the appalling disaster which has engulfed their town. We can only begin to imagine what they are going through and our hearts go out to all those who have been affected by such a dreadful tragedy. I pray you will be able to convey our feelings of profound concern to the Premier of Quebec and the people of the province.
Coming so soon after the devastating floods which inundated Alberta last month, this has been a most testing time for Canadians and our thoughts and sympathy are very much with the Canadian people. However, seeing the quite extraordinary efforts which have led to the Calgary Stampede being opened on time this weekend, it is only too clear how courageous and resourceful Canadians are and we have nothing but the greatest admiration for such determination and resilience in the face of terrible adversity."
Rideau Hall Press Office
Most Popular Stories
- Study: Recessions Can Postpone Motherhood Forever
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Short-changed in Texas
- Effort to Oust Assad Put on Hold
- Washington's 'The Equalizer' Debuts With $35 Million
- White House Intruder Got Farther Than Reported
- Los Angeles Set to Host Small Business Summit
- Hispanics Carry Big Clout: Census
- Qantas Puts World's Largest Plane on Longest Route
- Chicago Flight Delays: Questions Answered
- Jeb Bush: GOP Senate Would 'Fix a Few Things'