Millionaire art collector Charles Saatchi is to divorce TV chef Nigella Lawson
after pictures showed him holding her by the throat as they had an argument on a
Saatchi, who accepted a police caution for assault, told the Mail on Sunday he had clearly been a disappointment to his wife, adding the couple have become estranged and drifted apart over the last year.
I am sorry to announce that Nigella Lawson and I are getting divorced, he said.
I feel that I have clearly been a disappointment to Nigella during the last year or so, and I am disappointed that she was advised to make no public comment to explain that I abhor violence of any kind against women, and have never abused her physically in any way.
In an announcement reported to have broken the news of the divorce to his wife, he added: This is heartbreaking for both of us as our love was very deep, but in the last year we have become estranged and drifted apart.
Photographs of Nigella Lawson, 53, and Saatchi, 70, were published last month which showed him holding her by the throat as they had an argument on the terrace of a restaurant. He dismissed the incident as nothing more than ''a playful tiff but then accepted a police caution for assault. He said he had done so to stop the incident "hanging" over them. Nigella Lawson has subsequently been pictured without her wedding ring.
Most Popular Stories
- Bently Creates Alabama Small Business Commission
- Is Alibaba's IPO Price a Fairytale?
- When to Say No to Investors, Yes to Mentors
- Los Angeles Angels Clinch Playoff Spot
- U.S. Producer Prices Held Steady in August
- Sanctions Push Russian Ruble to Historic Low
- Scottish Leaders Scramble for Votes on Independence
- U.S. Tobacco Growers Lose Last of Price Supports
- Bolivar Appointed to NSHMBA National Board
- Kardashian: Kanye Never Told Fan in Wheelchair to Stand Up