Millionaire art collector Charles Saatchi is to divorce TV chef Nigella Lawson
after pictures showed him holding her by the throat as they had an argument on a
Saatchi, who accepted a police caution for assault, told the Mail on Sunday he had clearly been a disappointment to his wife, adding the couple have become estranged and drifted apart over the last year.
I am sorry to announce that Nigella Lawson and I are getting divorced, he said.
I feel that I have clearly been a disappointment to Nigella during the last year or so, and I am disappointed that she was advised to make no public comment to explain that I abhor violence of any kind against women, and have never abused her physically in any way.
In an announcement reported to have broken the news of the divorce to his wife, he added: This is heartbreaking for both of us as our love was very deep, but in the last year we have become estranged and drifted apart.
Photographs of Nigella Lawson, 53, and Saatchi, 70, were published last month which showed him holding her by the throat as they had an argument on the terrace of a restaurant. He dismissed the incident as nothing more than ''a playful tiff but then accepted a police caution for assault. He said he had done so to stop the incident "hanging" over them. Nigella Lawson has subsequently been pictured without her wedding ring.
Most Popular Stories
- Boehner Lashes Out Against Ted Cruz, Far Right
- Hawaii Official Who Release Obama Certificate Only Victim of Plane Crash
- Ford Plans New Cars, Jobs in 2014
- 'Rape Insurance' Bill Passes in Michigan
- Ted Cruz Coloring Book Selling Briskly
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Gold, Silver Slide on Prospects of Fed Exit
- Kim Jong Un's Uncle Executed
- Grizzly Bears Could Be Taken Off Endangered List
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients