Millionaire art collector Charles Saatchi is to divorce TV chef Nigella Lawson
after pictures showed him holding her by the throat as they had an argument on a
Saatchi, who accepted a police caution for assault, told the Mail on Sunday he had clearly been a disappointment to his wife, adding the couple have become estranged and drifted apart over the last year.
I am sorry to announce that Nigella Lawson and I are getting divorced, he said.
I feel that I have clearly been a disappointment to Nigella during the last year or so, and I am disappointed that she was advised to make no public comment to explain that I abhor violence of any kind against women, and have never abused her physically in any way.
In an announcement reported to have broken the news of the divorce to his wife, he added: This is heartbreaking for both of us as our love was very deep, but in the last year we have become estranged and drifted apart.
Photographs of Nigella Lawson, 53, and Saatchi, 70, were published last month which showed him holding her by the throat as they had an argument on the terrace of a restaurant. He dismissed the incident as nothing more than ''a playful tiff but then accepted a police caution for assault. He said he had done so to stop the incident "hanging" over them. Nigella Lawson has subsequently been pictured without her wedding ring.
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Republicans Warn Obama on Immigration
- Obama's Overtime Initiative Praised, Condemned
- Liberty Media Drops Sirius Bid
- West Readies Harsh Sanctions Against Russia
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- Lady Gaga Roasts Self on Spit at SXSW
- Drake Wins Big MTV's Woodie Awards at SXSW
- Uli Hoeness, Bayern Munich President, Gets Prison for Tax Evasion