Dennis Arriola, president and COO of Southern California Gas Co., was honored at Plaza Community Services' "Sharing in Future Prosperity" event, it was announced.
"Through its work, Plaza Community Services tells the individuals it serves, 'We believe in you. You can change your current situation. You can be successful,'" Mr. Arriola said in a statement.
Michael Peevey, president of the California Public Utilities Commission, and Sylvia Campoy, a community leader in Tucson who is active in education and civil rights, were also honored at the event.
PCS provides children, youth and families with child development, family, mental health and drug and alcohol treatment services.
SoCalGas has supported PCS for several years, and Andy Carrasco, supplier diversity manager with SoCalGas, has served on its board since 2009.
"Often, it just takes the support of one person to change the course of a life," said Mr. Arriola. "I have been very fortunate in my life to have many who believed in me and encouraged me to work hard. Without these people, I'm not sure where I would have ended up."
SoCalGas is the nation's largest natural gas distribution utility, providing service to 20.9 million consumers in more than 500 communities.
PCS was incorporated as a nonprofit agency in 1916. In 1932, a training school was opened as part of Plaza's educational program to provide leadership to Mexican-American adults.
Check out the The Billion Dollar Club -- the HispanicBusiness 500 now lists five billion-dollar-plus companies on its index of the top-earning U.S. Hispanic enterprises.
Most Popular Stories
- Frightfully Fun Films Return for Halloween
- Pfizer Approves $11 Billion Buyback Plan
- Would Soccer Be Richer Without Small Clubs?
- Cloud Lifts Microsoft's Quarterly Results
- Jennifer Aniston, Justin Theroux Set the Date
- Stocks Continue Strong After Opening Surge
- Weekly Jobless Claims Rise but Remain Low
- Hollywood Eager to Grasp Hispanic Market
- IS Funded by Black Market Oil Sales, Racketeering
- Teresa Giudice Must Serve Time in Prison