July 07--TRAVERSE CITY -- The 87th National Cherry Festival is in the rear view mirror, and in Traverse City that means on to the next festival.
Today, we get our first look at movies, documentaries and events the 9th Annual Film Festival will bring to town July 30 to Aug. 4.
The official "TCFF9 Festival Guide" is inserted in every copy of today's Record-Eagle. Hundreds of extra copies will be available for free around the area. The guide also will be posted on the web at www.traversecityfilmfest.org and here as part of the Record-Eagle's E-edition.
It includes synopses and schedules of movies, documentaries, panel discussions and other events, as well as commentary by founder Michael Moore on "special" and "under the radar" films, and opening and closing night galas.
A total of 140 films will be screened this year at eight venues, including the new year-round Bijou By the Bay movie theater in the old Con Foster Museum building. The Bijou will open July 29 with a pre-festival $500 per-person "Grand Debut" fundraiser that starts with a sneak preview at 8 p.m. followed by an after-show party on the beach.
Early tickets sales for Friends of the Festival begin July 14 at 11 a.m. The ticket line will start at the State Theatre, which will open at 5 a.m. for restroom and water access.
For the first time, the State will open its doors at 10 a.m. so ticket buyers can sit comfortably "in line" while awaiting their turn. The State will have five telephone lines open, too, for out-of-town or other members who can't make it in person. Online sales for film festival members begins July 14 at 6 p.m.
Ticket sales for the general public begins July 20, at 11 a.m. for walk-up purchases and 6 p.m. for online sales.
General admission tickets are $10 each, the same as last year.
(c)2013 The Record-Eagle (Traverse City, Mich.)
Visit The Record-Eagle (Traverse City, Mich.) at record-eagle.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief