White House Down: There may be better cinematic art in 2013, but for a good time at the movies, it's hard to imagine anything beating this action extravaganza about a very Obama-like president (Jamie Foxx) fighting off an invasion by right-wing psychos with the help of a Capitol police officer (Channing Tatum). Rated PG-13. 137 minutes.
- Mick LaSalle
20 Feet From Stardom This film festival favorite about background singers is meant to right a few wrongs in the music industry and offer a window into the lives of some hard-charging entertainers. Depth is not a strength of the film, and some difficult questions are avoided. Most viewers will still leave humming a song. Rated PG-13. 90 minutes.
- Peter Hartlaub
The Heat The inspired pairing of Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy makes for a successful action comedy, with the women teaming up to find a drug kingpin in Boston. Rated R. 117 minutes.
- Mick LaSalle
(c)2013 the San Francisco Chronicle
Visit the San Francisco Chronicle at www.sfgate.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Fed Committee Optimistic About Growth Prospects
- How ESPN Became a $50B Sports Empire
- Pot's Legal in WA -- But You Should Probably Ask Your Boss
- Challenger Raises Bar on Muscle Cars
- Fight Against Teacher Tenure Gains Momentum
- President Obama Relishes Roadshow, but Agenda Still Stuck
- Small Businesses Could Get Paid Faster
- Stevie Fielder Changes Tune on Thad Cochran Vote-buying Story
- California Chambers Head for the O.C.
- Pau Gasol Turns Down Lakers' Offer