Fireworks are to blame for two fires in Seattle that caused substantial damage
to a boatyard and a home, officials say.
Fourteen boats were destroyed and four others were damaged at a boatyard on Lake Union by fireworks shot off before the city's Independence Day fireworks show, The Seattle Times reported Friday.
The fire started just after 10 p.m. Thursday shortly before the city's celebration at nearby Gas Works Park.
A resident said he saw people shooting fireworks near the boatyard shortly before the fire was reported.
Earlier, a fire blamed on fireworks caused $40,000 in damage to the roof of a home near Lake Washington, fire officials said.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- What to Expect From an Amazon Smartphone
- Clinton Sought GOP Support for Health Plan
- Auto Parts Plant Opening in Pa., Jobs on Tap
- Earnings Season Starts Rough for Health Insurers
- Saucedo Mercer Running on Empty in Arizona
- Spring Salmon Return to San Joaquin
- Venture Investments in U.S. Highest Since 2001
- IPO Market Shows Signs of Settling Down to Earth
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text