Fireworks are to blame for two fires in Seattle that caused substantial damage
to a boatyard and a home, officials say.
Fourteen boats were destroyed and four others were damaged at a boatyard on Lake Union by fireworks shot off before the city's Independence Day fireworks show, The Seattle Times reported Friday.
The fire started just after 10 p.m. Thursday shortly before the city's celebration at nearby Gas Works Park.
A resident said he saw people shooting fireworks near the boatyard shortly before the fire was reported.
Earlier, a fire blamed on fireworks caused $40,000 in damage to the roof of a home near Lake Washington, fire officials said.
Most Popular Stories
- Hernandez lawyer: Pats Records Dispute Resolved
- Congress Leaving Town as Deadlines Loom
- 4th Circuit Upholds Obamacare Subsidies
- Oregon Voters to Decide on Recreational Pot
- Oregon to Vote on Recreational Marijuana
- Jeter, Bauer Give Fox a Strong Week in TV Ratings
- Fiat, Renault Strike Deal on New Light Vehicle
- Senate, House Locking Horns on Border Funds
- A's Agree to 10-Year Lease to Stay in Oakland
- LinkedIn to Buy Ad Tech Company Bizo for $175 Million