Fireworks are to blame for two fires in Seattle that caused substantial damage
to a boatyard and a home, officials say.
Fourteen boats were destroyed and four others were damaged at a boatyard on Lake Union by fireworks shot off before the city's Independence Day fireworks show, The Seattle Times reported Friday.
The fire started just after 10 p.m. Thursday shortly before the city's celebration at nearby Gas Works Park.
A resident said he saw people shooting fireworks near the boatyard shortly before the fire was reported.
Earlier, a fire blamed on fireworks caused $40,000 in damage to the roof of a home near Lake Washington, fire officials said.
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Swiss Suicide Tourism Doubled Since 2009
- Wealth Gap Widened in Past Decade: Census
- Florida's Largest Insurer Says 'Bailout' Attacks Unfair
- Job Market Shifts Complicate Yellen's Rate Decision
- U.S. Supporters of Islamic State Get Close Scrutiny
- Gap Reports Higher Profits, India Plans
- James Foley Beheading Sparks Anger, Little Action
- McDonald's Names Another U.S. President
- International Revulsion Grows Over James Foley Death