Fireworks are to blame for two fires in Seattle that caused substantial damage
to a boatyard and a home, officials say.
Fourteen boats were destroyed and four others were damaged at a boatyard on Lake Union by fireworks shot off before the city's Independence Day fireworks show, The Seattle Times reported Friday.
The fire started just after 10 p.m. Thursday shortly before the city's celebration at nearby Gas Works Park.
A resident said he saw people shooting fireworks near the boatyard shortly before the fire was reported.
Earlier, a fire blamed on fireworks caused $40,000 in damage to the roof of a home near Lake Washington, fire officials said.
Most Popular Stories
- Ukraine Crisis Limits Losses in Gold, Silver
- Can GOP Dodge Immigration Bullet?
- Software Writers Sought in Indiana
- Photo ID Required for Unemployment Benefits
- Chiquita, Fyffes to Form Top Banana
- Job Fair for S.C. Grads
- Big Earthquake Rumbles Northern California
- Tech Firms to Increase Hiring for 4th Year in a Row
- China's Money Rate Drops on Slowdown Concern
- '300' Sequel Conquers Box Office Foes