Fireworks are to blame for two fires in Seattle that caused substantial damage
to a boatyard and a home, officials say.
Fourteen boats were destroyed and four others were damaged at a boatyard on Lake Union by fireworks shot off before the city's Independence Day fireworks show, The Seattle Times reported Friday.
The fire started just after 10 p.m. Thursday shortly before the city's celebration at nearby Gas Works Park.
A resident said he saw people shooting fireworks near the boatyard shortly before the fire was reported.
Earlier, a fire blamed on fireworks caused $40,000 in damage to the roof of a home near Lake Washington, fire officials said.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Tracks 5 Billion Cellphone Records a Day
- W.H. Corrects Itself on Unclegate
- Pope Francis Says He'll Fight Child Sex Abuse
- Yemen Attack Kills 52
- Fast-Food Workers Want $15 an Hour
- Nelson Mandela Dead at 95
- Nelson Mandela Dies After Momentous Life
- Roybal-Allard Tours Gordon Brush Plant
- Twitter Names Woman to Board
- Aspen Contracting Adding 300 Jobs