July 05--The Downtown Film Festival Los Angeles, which kicks off Wednesday, will showcase more than 100 independent features, documentaries and shorts at various locales, including the Downtown Independent, the AT&T Center Theater, the Grammy Museum Clive Davis Theater and other venues.
The festival, which continues through July 18, opens with the U.S. premiere of Wayne Thompson's "Who the **--is Arthur Fogel?," a documentary biopic about the creative force behind the worldwide concert tours of Madonna, U2 and Lady Gaga.
"Our festival has always underscored the close affinity between film and music, especially here in Los Angeles where both industries are centered and where creatives from each industry can't help but rub shoulders with each other," said festival co-director Peggy Ellithorpe in a statement.
Other music-themed movies in the festival include "Punk in Africa" and "Furious Beauty."
The festival also is featuring a women's series, which includes the L.A premiere of the Sharon Stone-executive produced documentary "Femme" and a showcase spotlighting Latino-American filmmakers such as Kenneth Castillo, who will screen his drama "Counterpunch."
The festival and the Los Angeles Center for Digital Art have also collaborated on a digital art competition and winners will be exhibited during the Downtown L.A. Art Walk this month.
And on July 12, Geoffrey Fletcher, the Oscar-winning screenwriter of 2009's "Precious," will host a free public screening of the winning short films of the Bombay Sapphire Imagination Series.
(c)2013 the Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Bogdanovitch Delivers Laughs With 'She's Funny'
- Labor Day Travel Up, Gas Prices Down
- Nintendo Launching 'Amiibo' Toy-game Franchise
- U.K. Raises Terror Threat Level to 'Severe'
- Apple to Unveil New Items on Sept. 9
- Parra Joins Exclusive Club of Hispanic CEOs
- Canada, Russia Go to War (on Twitter)
- Axxis Solutions Appoints Benites as CEO
- Obama Puts Ukraine Violence on Russia