July 04--Kanye West has a resume that is nothing if not diverse, including chart-topping musician, fashion designer, tabloid staple, music-video director and cultural firebrand.
He has claimed to be creative director on an upcoming "Jetsons" movie and, in a recent interview promoting his album "Yeezus," he declared that his wide-ranging cultural interests have "only led me to awesome truth and awesomeness. Beauty, truth, awesomeness."
In a pair of messages posted to his Twitter account Wednesday night, West added film critic to that resume when he stated, "I saw a pre-screening of Pacific Rim yesterday and it's easily one of my favorite movies of all time" and "This is not another 'Robot' movie. Guillermo del Toro is a master."
Directed and co-written by Del Toro, "Pacific Rim" concerns 25-story-tall robots built by humans to fight off alien monsters known as kaiju. Starring Idris Elba, Charlie Hunnam, Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Day and Del Toro staple Ron Perlman, the film is an outsized, ambitious, vividly original work that runs counter to much of the prevailing wisdom of how things are currently done and on which hangs the fortunes of many involved. (Perhaps it's no wonder West is such a fan.)
West's sometime-collaborator Jay-Z has apparently also been spending some time at the movies. As Times Pop Music Critic Randall Roberts pointed out, Jay-Z's newly released "Magna Carta Holy Grail" features a line of dialogue sampled from the Faye Dunaway camp classic "Mommie Dearest."
Follow Mark Olsen on Twitter: @IndieFocus
(c)2013 the Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Islamic State Obliterating Cultural Landmarks in Mosul
- VW Site Could Mean Another 2,000 Jobs for Chattanooga
- Eid al-Fitr Celebrations Mark End of Ramadan
- Anarchy, Chaos Sweep Across Libya
- The 2014 Fastest-Growing 100
- Israeli Criticism of Kerry Annoys White House
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- Hobby Lobby Ruling Exempts Satanic Temple From Hobby Lobby Ruling
- Oppression of Women Cripples Africa: Obama
- Vancrest Assisted Living Project to Add 20 Jobs