New York mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner's spokeswoman called an intern "a
slutbag" in an interview with Talking Points Memo.
Barbara Morgan went off on Olivia Nuzzi, using profanity, the New York Daily News reported. Morgan also accused Nuzzi of absenteeism during her stint as an intern and threatened to sue her.
Nuzzi in a column published Tuesday in the News said many of those working for the Weiner campaign were doing so because they hoped to get jobs with former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, a possible presidential candidate in 2016. Nuzzi also said a lot of the staff had "short resumes."
Weiner, D-N.Y., resigned from Congress in 2011 amidst a sexting scandal. He hoped to make a comeback in the mayoral race, but his poll numbers have plummeted since he admitted a torrid text message exchange after his resignation.
Nuzzi in her column said Weiner called many of his aides "Monica."
Morgan apologized for her rant late Tuesday and said she thought she was off the record.
On Wednesday, Politico reported that sources say Weiner's wife, Huma Abedin, is planning to take a leave of absence from her job with Clinton.
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March