July 31--CHATHAM -- Chatham Orpheum Theater held its grand opening last weekend and today will open its second theater to make room for "Jaws."
The theater will move "The Way Way Back" to its 35-seat theater, while "Jaws" will screen in the 157-seat main theater, with show times at 2, 4:30, 7 and 9:30 p.m.
Movies will continue daily, with first-run films playing in the main theater and documentaries and independent productions in the smaller one.
The concession stand will be open for all shows, along with Vers patisserie, which will feature modern, coastal cuisine; a wine list; a selection of hand-crafted micro-brewed beers; barista-style coffees and house-made patisserie items on the lower floor of the theater. Vers also offers a special menu that includes beer, wine, snacks and popcorn that moviegoers can take with them into the cinema.
With the screens, the restaurant, concession stand and bar finally up and running, the 97-year old structure has come a long way.
The theater, which originally opened in 1915, showed movies and live theater until 1987 when it was converted into a CVS pharmacy.
When CVS relocated in 2011, the Orpheum Theater Project formed a board of trustees, obtained nonprofit status, and managed to raise $3.4 million in private donations and grants.
The funds restored and renovated the theater over the past several months and also modernized the screens with digital cinema, which is capable of showing 3D movies.
For information and tickets: chathamorpheum.org. The box office opens daily at noon.
(c)2013 the Cape Cod Times (Hyannis, Mass.)
Visit the Cape Cod Times (Hyannis, Mass.) at www.capecodonline.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- GM Recall Poses First Major Test for New CEO
- Obama Seeks to Stay Neutral in CIA-Senate Conflict