July 30--Also making a world premiere at Midnight Madness is "Afflicted." Formerly titled "Ends of the Earth," Derek Lee and Clif Prowse's look at a man possessed by an inexplicable affliction thousands of miles from home will be released by CBS Films.
And FilmDistrict will bring Mike Flanagan's "Oculus" to the festival. Based on Flanagan's well-regarded short "Oculus 3," the film is a feature-length look at a pair of damaged siblings and a mirror with mysterious powers.
Perhaps most intriguing on the list of Midnight Madness titles is "All Cheerleaders Die," McKee's remake of his own 2001 cult film. In the new version -- like the original co-helmed with Chris Sivertson -- a new cast incarnates the story of cheerleader Maddy Killian as she and her fellow pom-pom wavers seek to bring down a star football player, with grisly and supernatural consequences. McKee is the cult director behind the 2002 fan hit "May" and controversial 2011 Sundance pic "The Woman."
Midnight Madness, known for fan-friendly genre material and the occasional dark comedy, is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year. In past years it served as the world-premiere spot for Roth's "Hostel" as well as Sacha Baron Cohen's "Borat," in a now-infamous screening that saw the projector go out and Cohen do 45 minutes of improvised material while in character.
This year's Toronto international Film Festival runs for 11 days beginning Sept. 5.
Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/ZeitchikLAT
(c)2013 the Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Crimean Referendum Violates International Law: Obama
- Florida Insurers Reach Out to Hispanics
- Where Are the World's Most Expensive Cities?
- BP Tripled CEO's Pay Despite Deepwater Horizon
- House OKs $1 Billion for Ukraine
- EU Breaks Off Talks With Russia
- Putin Gets Thumbs-up From Assad
- 2 Million Long-term Jobless Have No Benefits
- Nakamoto 'No Longer Involved' in Bitcoin
- Cuba Accepts Invite for Talks With EU