By LYNN ELBER
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - Showtime says Josh Hartnett and Eva Green have been cast in the period psychological thriller "Penny Dreadful."
Showtime's president, David Nevins, described the production as a scary monster story with a different look and style.
He told the Television Critics Association on Tuesday that It's the first genre series for the premium cable channel.
Hartnett will play an American who finds danger in Victorian London. Green, who starred in the James Bond film "Casino Royale," plays a woman who carries secrets and risk.
The eight-episode series was created by John Logan, whose credits include "Gladiator." He and filmmaker Sam Mendes are among its executive producers.
"Penny Dreadful" begins filming this fall for a scheduled 2014 debut on Showtime.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Potential Snags to the Bipartisan Budget Deal
- Adam Levine Wins Big as 'The Voice' Crowns Champ
- From Fiscal Cliff to Female Head of GM: 2013 in Review
- U.S. Home Construction Hammers Out 5-Year High
- Archer Daniels Midland Moving HQ to Chicago
- Budget Deal on Brink of Passing in Senate
- Wine Collector Convicted of Making Fake Vintages
- Apple: Disney Animation iPad App Best of 2013
- China Provokes Bitcoin Crash
- Mega Millions Winning Tickets Sold in Atlanta, San Jose